Ads on my Blog

Just a little note about the ads on my blog. They may not reflect my beliefs in any way, shape or form.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Read-A-Thon

Image courtesy of  Kanaye @ Dewey's Read-A-Thon



Hour Six:

I have taken care of the problem with comments requiring word verification.  I had disabled the comment moderation, but was unaware that they required word verification.  I am sorry to anyone from the Read-A-Thon.   :D

I am reading Charles Dickens' "Little Dorrit".  This is a really big book O_O with about 980 pages.  I have been reading it for about a couple of months, and have gotten to page 450.  I have decided to start over again, though.  I found that I have forgotten some of what has happened, and "Little Dorrit" is a book that needs to be savored and thought upon.

"When Arthur Clennam returns to England after many years abroad, he takes a kindly interest in Amy Dorrit, his mother's seamstress, and in the affairs of Amy's father, William Dorrit, a man of shabby grandeur, long imprisoned for debt in the Marshalsea.  As Arthur soon discovers, the dark shadow of the prison stretches far beyond it \s walls to affect the lives of many, from the kindly Mr Pancks,...the garrulous Flora Finching, to Merdle, an unscrupulous financier, and the bureaucratic Barnacles in the Circumlocution Office."  ~Charles Dickens' "Little Dorrit"~
 I really agree with the book when it says that "[Little Dorrit is] a masterly evocation of the state and psychology of imprisonment."  One thing I was unaware of was that Dickens' father had once been an inmate of the Marshalsea.  This brings the book to life for me, that Dickens' knows what he is talking about when he describes people, places and the lives they lead.  I am really looking forward to finishing this book and immersing myself in another time and place.

I started reading at 11:00am my time.  I was suppose to start at 6am, but I had a long night so decided that sleep was more needed, so that I didn't fall asleep reading. ;p

This was the questions from Hour One, and I thought would go ahead and answer them.

  1. Where are you reading from today?  ~Sunny, hot New Mexico, USA
  2. Three Random facts about me...  ~I love reading, I started reading when I was three, I love learning new things.~
  3. How many books in your TBR pile?  Four books, but one is really a large book.
  4. Do you have any goals?  Yes, to finish Little Dorrit.
  5. This is my first Read-A-Thon, so no advice to give, but will accept advice. :D

3 comments:

  1. Wow--that is some book! I have not read it, although I have read other Dickens many times. I hope all your books are good ones and your eyes don't get tired :) http://readspace.net

    ReplyDelete
  2. As cheerleader I appreciate that embedded comments do not have word verification! Thanks. Hope your reading is going well.l

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope the Dickens is engrossing. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete