Ads on my Blog

Just a little note about the ads on my blog. They may not reflect my beliefs in any way, shape or form.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

My Commonplace Book... Christy by Catherine Marshall

 Hardback copy: Library of Congress Catalog Card #67-24957

I started reading this book and came upon a discussion between Christy and Miss Alice concerning a "Religion of fears".  I know a lady who has a religion of fear. She has practically driven her children away from God because she has taught them that God is a judge who does not have mercy.  This makes me so sad. :(

Christy: "'I hate a religion of fears,' I said with feeling."

Miss (Alice) Henderson: "'I do too, and my parents before me. My father was a strict member of the Society of Friends up in Ardmore, Pennsylvania. But he had one favorite saying that sounds anything but strict. I grew up on it.' Here Miss Alice's eyes took on a soft remembering look. 'He was a tall man, stood so straight, but there were curves of fun around his mouth. 'Before God,' he would often say to me, 'I've just one duty as a father. That is to see that thee has a happy childhood tucked under thy jacket.'"

Christy: "I like that. And did you have a happy childhood?"

Miss Henderson: "'The happiest imaginable. And you see, father was wise. He knew that I couldn't have an earthly father who would provide joy all my days, and then be able to conceive of God as a stern judge wanting to take all my fun from me.' Miss Henderson sighed. 'One of our tasks here is to show folks a God who wants to give them joy. How they need joy!'" (pg 61)

No comments:

Post a Comment