Ads on my Blog

Just a little note about the ads on my blog. They may not reflect my beliefs in any way, shape or form.

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My Commonplace Book... Missions Mosaic (Oct 2012)

This month's Missions Mosaic has so much in it. A lot of it has been near and dear to my heart for a while also. For example, not many people are aware that Slavery and Human Exploitation is alive and well even here in the United States. *Imagine being scared of the UPS driver because you have been told he is immigration and is looking to arrest and hurt you. Look at the maid, nanny, hair stylist, manicurist, prostitute on the street corners, or the  cook and other staff at your favorite shops? Chances are that they could be "slaves" and not doing this of their free will. Granted they may be, but not all the time.  A statistic says that 'slavery' is 2nd only to the drug business in the world. It is an international problem and needs to be eradicated.

I am planning to write down some quotes and ideas from the Missions Mosaic magazine, so that I can keep them close even when I no longer have the magazine.

"The Young Women: Time to Invest.  Designed for the younger woman, myMISSION is a missions organization centered on missional Bible study and prayer, community events, and missions projects.  The organization is Web based and can be found at myMISSIONfulfilled.com  This Web site offers six interactive blogs:
  • The collegiate
  • The girl-next-door
  • The young professional
  • The mom
  • The myMISSION leader
         Courtney Simpson Pg 5
"Noting to Call My Own: Backpacks with Hope. Fill Backpacks for Children in Transition. The biggest thing is that they usually come with nothing and are scared and embarrased to have to use other people's things." Angie Quantrell pg 6 & 7
 There are all kinds of things to put into backpacks that the children can have and know that it is theirs and no-one will take it away.  Things such as blankets, slippers, sanitary supplies, a toy or two, a Bible, paper, journals, etc... It would make these children's lives better in a small way.

I am single and have never been married. This one paragraph really speaks to me. I just changed the age to reflect me. The author was 39 at the time of writing this.
 "Ever since I was a little child, I have dreamed of nothing more than being a mother and a wife. Those desires have only strengthened over the years. Now as a [38-year-old] single female, I still struggle with those desires. God has not promised me a husband or children, but He has also not told me 'no.' " Anna Kathryn Hardin Pg 14
"Reflection & Respond: My Ministry Attitude
  • What ministries am I involved in?
  • What scares me about moving out of my comfort zone to minister to others?
  • When was the last time I thought about the example of Christ I portray?
  • Does my ministry involvement reflect an acceptance of others or a holier-than-thou attitude?
  • Evaluate yourself. Describe your attitude toward those to whom you minister.
  • Ask another trusted believer and/or someone you have ministered to in the past what kind of Christ impression you make on others. Encourage her to answer honestly, and graciously accept her opinion.
  • Study Jesus' example in Mark 1:40-41; Mark 10:13-14; Luke 19:1-10; and John 4:5-42.
  • Pray for Jesus' compassion to pour through you to others. Ask Him to show you how to appropriately respond to all people in all circumstances while upholding His truth.
  • Make a list of at least three characteristics that Jesus displayed as He ministered to others. Rate how well you demonstrate each one on a scale from one to five.
  • Practice, practice, practice! Write down an action plan for your ministries. Think of ways you can demonstrate Jesus' love more when you minister.
'For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himslef will be exalted.' (Luke 14: 11) " Laci Post pg 24 & 25

 *WMU Missions Mosaic October 2012 issue pg 17 "It Happened to Me." by Jean M. McLean

No comments:

Post a Comment