Ads on my Blog

Just a little note about the ads on my blog. They may not reflect my beliefs in any way, shape or form.

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Book Review: Behind The Gates

Behind the Gates (Tomorrow Girls, #1)Behind the Gates by Eva Gray

My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Book Information
Pages: 211
Publication Info: May 1st, 2011 by Scholastic Paperbacks
Version: Paperback
Genre: Juvenile Young Adult Fiction
Series: Tomorrow Girls #1
How many in Series? 4 books so far.
ISBN: 0545317010 (ISBN 13: 9780545317016)


I borrowed this book from my local library and have done this review on my own.  I do not and did not profit from it in any way, shape or form.

From Goodreads' summary:
"In a terrifying future world, four girls must depend on each other if they want to survive.

Louisa is nervous about being sent away to a boarding school -- but she’s excited, too. And she has her best friend, Maddie, to keep her company. The girls have to pretend to be twin sisters, which Louisa thinks just adds to the adventure!

Country Manor School isn’t all excitement, though. Louisa isn’t sure how she feels about her new roommates: athletic but snobby Rosie and everything’s-a-conspiracy Evelyn. Even Maddie seems different away from home, quiet and worried all the time.

Still, Louisa loves CMS -- the survival skills classes, the fresh air. She doesn’t even miss not having a TV, or the internet, or any contact with home. It’s for their own safety, after all.

Or is it?"
What I thought:

I got this book because of the dystopia theme and survival against all odds. When I started to read the book, I was blown away. The interactions between the characters and the build up of suspense were exactly what this book needed.

The book, while slow, is told from Louisa's perspective/narrative. The dialoge is like we are living her life and thinking her thoughts. We see her thoughts as she is saying goodbye to her parents, as they travel, as they arrive at "School" and her trying to make friends. We see her feelings about her roommates and about her friend Maddie.

The book is pretty slow paced. For example It takes three chapters to get to CMS. The pacing dosen't really pick up through out the book as the entire book only comprises 2 weeks at school, but a lot happens at the same time.

Some questions I had while reading, were varied and not very deep. :D Who is Evelyn? Who are her parent's? I get the idea that she wasn't a "spoiled brat" child like the other students were suppose to be. For that matter, who is Rosie? She doesn't strike me as rich and spoiled either. We know that Maddie has been sneaked in, but we don't find anything else out about any others.

The book ended on a cliff hanger (at least for me)^_^. I find myself wanting to get the next book, which I have found out tells the story from Rosie's experiences, thoughts, and feelings.

Highly recommended for ages 8 to 12. While the girls are 13 in the book, and other reviews recommend for Teens, I think that the dialog, language and story may be seen as too simple for older teens.

View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment